Dec 6, 2013

Baked Chimichangas


Tonight ended up being one of those meals that were made on a whim.  I had originally planned to make Mexican Cornbread but we had regular cornbread with our dinner last night.  So of course I began the look on pinterest and trying to decide what I wanted to do with the ground beef I had thawed out.  I decided to try some baked chimichangas and in the midst of looking at different recipes I decided I'm just going to do my own thing because I didn't have all the ingredients to follow any of the recipes I looked at.  I really liked how these tasted fresh with the tomato, avocado, and spinach in them.  Not too much work and they turned out good!


Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning (I use 3 Tbsp of homemade to 2/3 cup water)
3/4 cup sour creme
1 can Jalapeno refried beans
1 large avocado chopped
3 Roma tomatoes chopped
1 cup baby spinach chopped
2 cups fresh grated Monterrey Jack
2 cups fresh grated Pepperjack
12 medium size tortillas (not the small size ones)
Olive Oil

Preheat oven 450 degrees
1)  Line baking pan with foil and spread olive oil over it.
2)  Cook ground beef and mix taco seasoning according to directions.
3)  Mix in refried beans, sour creme, avocados, tomatoes, and spinach.
4)  Spoon meat mixture into center of tortilla and place some of both cheeses on top.  Fold ends of tortilla towards inside and other two edges over middle, and place seem side down on baking pan.  You want to be sure it is closed up with no gaps left open.  Do this until all tortillas or mixture has been used.
5)  Brush olive oil on top of all the chimichangas.
6)  Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven, flip chimichangas over, brush with a little olive oil if needed, and place back in oven and bake 10 more minutes.
7)  Remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving as they are extremely hot inside.

Love fresh tomato and avocado!







1 comment: