May 31, 2012

Mexican Cornbread


This has been a favorite since I was a little girl.  One of the things my mom would often cook.  As I was growing up I never cared for jalapenos so my mom would only put them on half of it for her and my dad.  Well, now that I make this dish I find myself doing the same thing for my kids.  When I made this tonight I added diced up Roma tomatoes, and really liked it.  Tomatoes have a way of adding a fresh flavor to just about any dish. 


Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 of an onion (diced)
4 Roma tomatoes (diced)
1 cup fresh grated cheddar or Monterrey jack
desired amount jalapenos
1 can cream style corn

Corn Bread
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350.

Dice vegetables into small pieces

On medium heat in large skillet cook ground beef, stirring often with fork to make fine.  Drain grease about 90% done, return to skillet and add onions.  Cook 3-5 more minutes, and remove from heat. 

In large bowl add all cornbread ingredients and mix together well.  Next mix in the can of cream style corn to cornbread.

Pour 1/3-1/2 of cornbread mixture in bottom of iron skillet.  Place all ground beef on top of this first layer.  Then add tomatoes, jalapenos, and cheese.  Pour remaining cornbread mixture on top.

Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown.





4 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the layout and look of your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually purchased a pre made design for $25. Of course it took me forever to find one I liked at a cheap price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done that before and ended up not liking mine and went back to doing it myself! Lol I've actually been looking for someone with a style I like to design mine.... If I can get it cheap enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I saw was a little pricy to have something designed, but that is what I want to do sometime later as well. I may even switch to word press when I do that. It just appears to have more options than blogger. You have good taste so I'm sure you'll get something done that looks great!

      Delete