Sep 24, 2013

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas


I have been making these enchiladas for about 12 years now and it's a family favorite in our house.  These are also known as Stinachiladas in our family because my nephews call me Aunt Stina, and they started calling these Stinachiladas when they were little and would ask there mom to make them.  Over the years I've come across a couple things that no doubt make this recipe better and that is freshly grated cheese and fresh green chilies or at least a good jar from New Mexico.  If I buy shredded cheese I always go with Sargento.  Something I'd like to try is making my own cream of chicken sauce for these, but I have yet to do that!


Ingredients
12 to 15 frozen chicken tenders
2 Tbsp full of chicken bullion or 2 cubes
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz diced green chilies
16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
16 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
10 large flour tortillas
Seasonings pictured below


Place frozen tenders in pot with water, add lots of all the seasonings and chicken bullion.  Boil chicken about 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender.  Remove tenders from pot, place in 8x8 pan and shred to pieces with two forks.   Allow broth to settle while doing this.  Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.  Place chicken and cheeses in center of tortilla then slide towards edge and roll up tight. Place in baking dish after rolling each one.  You should be able to fit 10 if you roll them tightly.  Preaheat over to 350 degrees.  Pour off some broth from pot into bowl or large cup leaving the bottom 2 cups in saucepan.  This is important because most of the seasoning settles to bottom and you want this in your sauce.  Add cream of chicken, sour cream, and green chilies to broth and stir over medium heat continuously until blended well.  Add more of the reserved broth as necessary to the sauce mixture to ensure it's not too thick, but be careful not to add too much making it runny.  Pour sauce over enchiladas.  Using a spatula place between each tortilla allowing some of sauce to run in between them all.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake 25-35 minutes until edges begin to lightly brown. 

 









1 comment:

  1. You know how much I love these...how I do my sauce is in the cookbook, under Green Chile Chicken Burritos:)

    ReplyDelete